Travel Credit works in a similar way to mobile phone credit. Every time you use the card to travel the cost of the journey is deducted. If there is no credit on the card it cannot be used for any further journeys until it is 'Topped Up'. Customers can Top-Up their cards:
- Online at www.leapcard.ie
- At Leap Card agents
- At Luas Ticket Machines
- At DART and Commuter Rail Ticket Machines in the Short Hop Zone
- Auto top-up is also available online at www.leapcard.ie
You can buy a Leap Card online at www.leapcard.ie
Leap Card agents
There are over 400 Leap Card agent shops around Dublin where you can:
- Buy a Leap Card
- Top-Up your Leap Card
- Collect Travel Credit purchased online (if you nominated the agent network as your collection point).
Go to www.payzone.ie to find the closest agent to you.
DART and Commuter Rail Ticket Machines
You can now buy and Top-Up your Leap Card at ticket machines in all DART and Commuter Rail stations in the ‘Short Hop Zone’.
Travel Credit, 24 hour and 7 day tickets can be purchased at Leap Card agents (PayZone agents). Just look for the Leap Card sign. For a list of Leap Card agents in Cork see www.leapcard.ie
- Once you register your card you don't need to complete an online form for every online Top-Up
- You can view your card history online
- You can manage additional Leap Cards through your account (e.g. your child's Leap Card)
- You can use the auto top-up function
- Place the card in the pocket provided.
- Select the Top-Up amount from options shown on the screen.
- Insert the amount selected - notes/coins/credit or debit cards accepted.
- Remove the Leap Card from the pocket as indicated on screen.
Your Leap Card is now Topped-Up and ready for immediate use.
Leap Cards can also be Topped-Up online:
- Go to www.leapcard.ie
- Click 'Top-Up'.
- Enter your card number.
- Select Top-Up amount and load location.
- Make your payment by credit/debit card.
- Collect your Top-Up at your nominated Load Location.
Auto Top-Up Function
If you register your Leap Card you can select the auto top-up function this offers the user the facility to automatically reload their Card with value for a pre-determined amount from their bank account when the value on their Leap Card falls below a certain threshold. Registered Leap Card users can opt-in by signing into their online account at LeapCard.ie.
- Dublin Bus
- DART and Commuter Rail
- Bus Éireann in Dublin and surrounding counties; Cork city; and Galway city
- City Direct (Galway city)
- Wexford Bus
- Swords Express
- Matthews Coaches
- Collins Coaches
More details are available at www.leapcard.ie or the relevant transport operator website.
1. Incorrect positioning of the Leap Card
If the Leap Card is not placed against the 'target' on the validator, it will not be read.
Ensure that the card is held steadily against the 'target' on the validator for at least a second.
Do not wave the card over the validator. Just hold it there until the beep.
On DART and Commuter Rail, do not put the Leap Card into the horizontal paper ticket slot on a gate.
2. Other smart card interference
Remove the Leap Card from your wallet or bag before using it. Other cards you may have in your wallet or bag can cause interference with your Leap Card, which will make it inoperable.
If you believe you did Touch-Off or if you believe there was a problem with the system on the day you travelled, then call customer care at 1850 824 824 and we’ll investigate the issue.
See Leap Card fares in the Dublin Area for capping price details.