About Leap Card
Information about Leap Card savings & benefits
A Leap Card is a reusable plastic smart card that can be used instead of paper tickets to pay-as-you-go for transport in Dublin and is also rolling out to some Bus Éireann services in Cork. Leap Card can currently be used on Dublin Bus, Luas, DART and Commuter Rail services. It can also save you money on selected Bus Éireann, Wexford Bus, Swords Express, and Matthews Coaches services.
Leap Card Savings
Using a Leap Card is normally considerably cheaper than buying individual cash tickets. You can save as much as 23% on some public transport journeys with a Leap Card. You can visit the dedicated Leap Card website to check Leap Card fares.
Leap Card Types
There are 4 different Leap Card categories:
- Adult Leap Cards for people aged 16+
- Child personalised Leap Cards for children aged 12-15 inclusive
- Child Leap Card for children under 12
- Student Travelcard for student is full time education
Getting a Leap Card
You can get your card today at one of over 400 shops in Dublin or you can buy yours online at the dedicated Leap Card website. You can also buy and Top-Up your Leap Card at ticket machines in all DART and Commuter Rail stations in the ‘Short Hop Zone’.Leap Card charges a €5 deposit (or €3 for child cards) and you can top up your card by up to €150.
In Cork Leap Cards can be bought and topped up in a range of shops and newsagents locally, displaying the Leap Card sign. For a full list see www.leapcard.ie
Leap Card – Frequently Asked Questions
This Leap Card Frequently Asked Questions section is dedicated to providing you with useful information pertaining to how your public transport journeys can be made easier & more affordable with Leap Card. From buying your first Leap Card to topping the card up, find answers & information below.
Travel Credit works in a similar way to mobile phone credit. Every time you use the card to travel the cost of the journey is deducted. If there is no credit on the card it cannot be used for any further journeys until it is 'Topped Up'. Customers can Top-Up their cards:
- Online at www.leapcard.ie
- At Leap Card agents
- At Luas Ticket Machines
- At DART and Commuter Rail Ticket Machines in the Short Hop Zone
- Auto top-up is also available online at www.leapcard.ie
You can buy a Leap Card online at www.leapcard.ie
Leap Card agents
There are over 400 Leap Card agent shops around Dublin where you can:
- Buy a Leap Card
- Top-Up your Leap Card
- Collect Travel Credit purchased online (if you nominated the agent network as your collection point).
Go to www.payzone.ie to find the closest agent to you.
DART and Commuter Rail Ticket Machines
You can now buy and Top-Up your Leap Card at ticket machines in all DART and Commuter Rail stations in the ‘Short Hop Zone’.
Travel Credit, 24 hour and 7 day tickets can be purchased at Leap Card agents (PayZone agents). Just look for the Leap Card sign. For a list of Leap Card agents in Cork see www.leapcard.ie
- Once you register your card you don't need to complete an online form for every online Top-Up
- You can view your card history online
- You can manage additional Leap Cards through your account (e.g. your child's Leap Card)
- You can use the auto top-up function
- Place the card in the pocket provided.
- Select the Top-Up amount from options shown on the screen.
- Insert the amount selected - notes/coins/credit or debit cards accepted.
- Remove the Leap Card from the pocket as indicated on screen.
Your Leap Card is now Topped-Up and ready for immediate use.
Leap Cards can also be Topped-Up online:
- Go to www.leapcard.ie
- Click 'Top-Up'.
- Enter your card number.
- Select Top-Up amount and load location.
- Make your payment by credit/debit card.
- Collect your Top-Up at your nominated Load Location.
Auto Top-Up Function
If you register your Leap Card you can select the auto top-up function this offers the user the facility to automatically reload their Card with value for a pre-determined amount from their bank account when the value on their Leap Card falls below a certain threshold. Registered Leap Card users can opt-in by signing into their online account at LeapCard.ie.
- Dublin Bus
- DART and Commuter Rail
- It can also save you money on selected Bus Éireann, Wexford Bus, Swords Express, and Matthews Coaches services
- It is also rolling out to some Bus Éireann services in Cork
Your Leap Card can be used for travel on all Dublin Bus services, including Airlink, Xpresso and Nitelink.
DART and Commuter Rail
Your Leap Card can be used for rail travel between stations within the 'Short Hop Zone'. This Zone includes all stations in the Dublin area from Greystones to Balbriggan and commuter Stations from Dublin City Centre to Maynooth and from Dublin Heuston to Hazelhatch.
Leap Card can be used for travel on all Luas services.
1. Incorrect positioning of the Leap Card
If the Leap Card is not placed against the 'target' on the validator, it will not be read.
Ensure that the card is held steadily against the 'target' on the validator for at least a second.
Do not wave the card over the validator. Just hold it there until the beep.
On DART and Commuter Rail, do not put the Leap Card into the horizontal paper ticket slot on a gate.
2. Other smart card interference
Remove the Leap Card from your wallet or bag before using it. Other cards you may have in your wallet or bag can cause interference with your Leap Card, which will make it inoperable.
If you believe you did Touch-Off or if you believe there was a problem with the system on the day you travelled, then call customer care at 1850 824 824 and we’ll investigate the issue.