Christmas & New Year Transport 2017
Christmas & New Year Transport 2017
Last updated 18th December 2017
The best way to get around Dublin over Christmas and the New Year is by public transport, so whether you’re shopping, socialising or working, grab your Leap Card and use the transport information below to plan your journey.
The transport operators have announced increased services in the run up to Christmas and New Year, details of these services are listed below. Dublin’s seasonal traffic management campaign Open City 2017 runs from the 4th – 24th December.
Use the Journey Planner to make your life easier over the festive season, check what time the next bus/luas/train is at with the TFI Real Time app. and download the other TFI apps to help you get about on public transport.
Dublin BusDublin Bus has enhanced services on regular routes and additional Nitelink services.Christmas Nitelink Service 2017:Friday 8th & Saturday 9th December 2017 – All Nitelink routes will operate as per normal weekend service.Thursday 14th, Friday 15th & Saturday 16th December 2017 – All Nitelink routes will operate as per normal weekend service.Wednesday 20th, Thursday 21st, Friday 22nd and Saturday 23rd December 2017 – All Nitelink routes will operate as per normal weekend service.Sunday 24th to Thursday 28th December 2017 – Nitelink Service will not operate.Friday 29th, Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st December 2017 – All Nitelink routes will operate as per normal weekend service.
Bus Éireann will operate services everyday across the Christmas holiday period – apart from 25 December with services operating standard timetables with some exceptions.
- 24 December – All city and commuter/rural services nationwide will operate up until approximately 21.00.
- 25 December – No services operate on Christmas Day
- 26 December – A full Sunday timetable will operate on all city & town routes, with reduced frequency on main commuter routes
- 27 December – A full weekday service will operate with some minor exceptions**
- 28 December – A full weekday service will operate with some minor exceptions**
- 29 December – A full weekday service will operate with some minor exceptions**
- 30 December – A full Saturday service will operate with some minor exceptions.
- 31 December – A full Sunday service will operate with services operating until approximately 21.00.
- 1 January – A full Sunday service will operate with some minor exceptions
- 2 January – A full weekday service will operate
**Route 103 & NX will operate a Saturday service from 27 to 29 December inclusive.
For information on Expressway intercity services click here.
Eurolines services will not operate on 24, 25, 26 or 31 December 2016
For more visit the website www.buseireann.ie
Local Link Wexford – click the following link for Christmas & New Year Bus Services
Local Link Kerry – click the following link for Christmas & New Year Bus services
The following Luas services will operate over the Christmas and New Year period:
- Christmas Eve Sun 24th Dec: Luas services end at 20:00
- Christmas Day Mon 25th Dec : No Luas services
- St. Stephen’s Day Tues 26th Dec: Sunday schedule with services starting at 09:00
- Wed 27th Dec: Saturday schedule
- Thu 28th Dec: Saturday schedule
- Fri 29th Dec: Saturday schedule
- Sat 30th Dec: Saturday schedule
- Sun 31st Dec: Sunday schedule with Night Luas services as above
- Bk Hol Mon 1st Jan: Sunday schedule
- Tue 2nd Jan: Regular weekday schedule resumes at 05:30
Night Luas Services:
Night Luas trams will operate on the Green Line and Red Line. NOTE: LAST Night Luas trams will operate Southbound and Westbound, out of the city center, only.
For the Night Luas schedule go to the website www.luas.ie.
Late-night services will serve all stations on DART, Dundalk, Maynooth and Kildare Commuter lines, including Pearse to Kildare via Phoenix Park Tunnel. Late night DART and Commuter services start on the night of Friday 8th December on the weekends in the run-up to Christmas, and after Dublin’s New Year’s Eve celebrations.
For the first time ever, commuters on the Kildare commuter line will have late-night services from the heart of the city centre, with services from Dublin Pearse to Kildare operating via the Phoenix Park Tunnel line.
Additional DART & Commuter Services
Late night services will operate on:
Friday 8th, Saturday 9th, Friday 15th, Saturday 16th and Friday 22nd December at the following times:
- 00:30hrs and 01:30hrs from Dublin Pearse serving all stations to Howth
- 00:30hrs and 01:30hrs from Dublin Connolly serving all stations to Greystones
- 00:40hrs and 01:40hrs from Dublin Pearse serving Tara Street, Dublin Connolly, and all stations from Howth Junction to Dundalk
- 00:20hrs and 01:55hrs from Dublin Pearse serving all stations to Maynooth
- 23:50hrs and 01:50hrs from Dublin Pearse serving all stations to Drumcondra, and all stations from ParkWest to Kildare (NEW for 2017)
- New Year’s Eve services will be confirmed in the coming days
Information on parking in Dublin City can be found by clicking on the following link www.dublincity.ie.
General information on where to park in Dublin City is available here www.dublincity.ie/where-park.
The driver check app allows you to check the licence details of the vehicle and driver and see a photo of the authorised driver. You are then able to forward these details (minus the photo) to a friend, click here to download the app.
Walking & Cycling
Another great way to get around Dublin City is by using the Just East bike share scheme, to find out more go to their website www.dublinbikes.ie.
Use the TFI cycle planner to plan your travel by bike, download it here.
To promote pedestrian and cyclist safety over the festive period the RSA has teamed up with the Vintners Federation of Ireland (VFI) to distribute 50,000 high visibility jackets to almost 4,000 publicans for distribution free of charge to their patrons to ensure they get home safely over the Christmas and New Year period.