What can I do if I think I’m being overcharged?
If you think you are being overcharged for a taxi journey, you should pay the fare displayed on the taximeter, including extras, but make sure you get a receipt. The driver is legally required to give you a printed receipt from the printer attached to the taximeter.
Check the details on the receipt:
– The Taxi Licence number on the receipt should match that shown on the roof sign of the taxi.
– The Registration number on the receipt should match the taxi’s registration plates.
– The Date, Start time and End time shown should be correct.
– The Total shown should match the amount paid.
– The Distance should (in your estimation) be correct for the journey.
If any of these details are incorrect, or the driver is unable or unwilling to provide a receipt, the driver may be operating illegally. Keep a note of the discrepancies and contact a member of An Garda Síochána or the Authority’s Consumer Information Line on 0761 064000.