Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail will operate a new timetable from 10th December 2023.
Customers can check the Irish Rail journey planner for changes as well as ticket booking.
Additional Intercity train services to/from Cork, Carlow and Westport, and additional trains in the Commuter belt between Dublin and Portlaoise, Dublin and Drogheda and Cork and Mallow are the highlights of the new timetable, commencing from this Sunday 10th December.
Customers on all routes – including Intercity, DART and Commuter – are advised to check times before travel, as there may be minor time changes affecting your service.
The new timetable has been approved by the National Transport Authority, and follows public consultation in September 2023, in which over 1,650 customers participated.
Highlights of the new timetables are:
- Additional 06:00hrs Dublin Heuston to Cork service (Monday to Friday) arriving at 08:32hrs, giving a pre-09:00hrs arrival to Cork city, with a connection at Limerick Junction for a pre-08:00hrs arrival to Limerick.
- Additional 12:20hrs Dublin Heuston to Carlow and 15:15hrs Carlow to Dublin Heuston service daily (Monday to Friday)
- Additional 16:20hrs Westport to Athlone and 21:08hrs Athlone to Westport service daily (Monday to Friday), providing connections to/from Dublin Heuston at Athlone.
- Connection from/to Ballina to the new 21:08hrs Athlone to Westport above.
- Significant expansion to Heuston to Portlaoise Commuter Sunday services, with 8 additional Commuter services from Portlaoise to Heuston, and 7 from Heuston to Portlaoise, extending existing Heuston/Kildare services; there will also be additional stops on a number of Heuston/Cork services at Portlaoise, to connect with these Commuter services
- Morning peak service each way between Cork and Mallow, operating at 07:20hrs Cork to Mallow, and 07:50hrs Mallow to Cork
- Additional 12:20hrs, 13:27hrs and 14:20hrs Dublin Connolly to Drogheda, and 11:40hrs and 12:40hrs Drogheda to Dublin Connolly services (Mon to Fri)
Additional stops on existing services
- Four Heuston to Cork and five Cork to Heuston services on Sundays will additionally serve Portlaoise, to provide connections to the enhanced Portlaoise Commuter service
- 19:35hrs Dublin Heuston to Galway (Mon to Sat) and 18:45hrs Heuston to Galway (Sunday) will additionally serve Clara, providing a later final service to Clara.
- 06:25hrs Galway to Dublin Heuston (Mon to Sat) will additionally serve Ballinasloe
Journey time and other significant timetable changes
- Kishoge Station will open in 2024 with local Heuston & Phoenix Park Tunnel services serving this station. This timetable has made provision in train timings for the future opening of this station at Kishogue.
- Journey time improvements on many Dublin Heuston to Cork and Limerick services, arising from recent infrastructure works.
- Significant changes to Saturday and Sunday DART timetables to improve performance, with time changes resulting on other routes to/from Dublin Connolly as a result
- A number of other minor schedule alterations to improve punctuality.
Further details available at IrishRail.ie